Community Clean up Day - April 16, 2011
Jesse McCabe-Stormwater Coordinator
City of Lakeland
The second annual community wide clean up day will be held on April 16 from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Windward Slopes Park on Beverlie Rivera Drive just east of the fire station. Those who participated in last year’s event will recall the severe thunderstorms which lasted throughout the day. In spite of the storm, over 3 tons of mixed trash, 1400 pounds of scrap metal and white goods, and 700 pounds of e-waste were collected. These quantities of discards were generated by an estimated 45 to 50 residents who took advantage of the opportunity to dispose of un -wanted items.
This year we are hoping for better weather and a larger turnout. We urge all city residents to take advantage of this opportunity to dispose of those hard to get rid of items you have been meaning to do something about.
Items we will be accepting are:
- Bulky trash
- E-Waste (fluorescents, monitors, computers, printers, cell phones, batteries, etc.)
- White Goods (washers, dryers, no refrigerators or A/Cs)
- Tires (limit 4)
- Scrap Metals
- Construction Debris (residential only)
- Small Appliances
- Yard Waste
We will NOT be accepting:
- Oils All items we will not be accepting can be disposed at the
- Paint Memphis and Shelby Co. hazardous waste facility at
- Anti-Freeze Shelby Farms. You can call 901-576-6851 for details.
- Household Garbage
Before disposing any items in the trash, please consider donating useable items to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, Disabled Veterans or other charitable organizations. Questions? Call 901-867-2717 ext. 408